Daily Briefing: SGUnited offered over 2,100 jobs, training roles in logistics; Three power generation companies awarded $23m for energy projects

And new taskforce in SG to protect and enable more vulnerable PMEs launched.

From ChannelNewsAsia:

More than 2,100 job, attachment, and training opportunities in the logistics sector were made available under the SGUnited jobs and skills programme between April and September, with the majority of them in non-professional roles, said the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) in its latest jobs situation report on 27 October.

As with many industries impacted by COVID-19, the logistics sector has seen a severe reduction in air freight capacity, a shortage of workers arising from border lockdowns, and reduced efficiency due to safe distancing measures.

The effects of COVID-19 within the industry, however, have been uneven, with those serving aviation and aerospace adversely affected and those providing e-commerce, last-mile fulfilment services or serving critical sectors such as healthcare seeing a surge in demand.

About 63%, or 1,340 of the 2,100 opportunities in the logistics sector, were for job openings, said MOM in its report.

Professionals, managers, executives, and technicians (PMET) roles accounted for about 36% or 480 of the jobs available, with the remaining 64% or 860 jobs for non-PMET positions such as freight coordinators and material handlers.

Read more here.

From ChannelNewsAsia:

A total of $23m in grants has been awarded by the Energy Market Authority to three power generation companies for energy efficiency projects that will reduce their carbon emissions, said the authority on 27 October.

The three companies are Senoko Energy, Tuas Power Generation, and YTL PowerSeraya.

Making the announcement at Singapore International Energy Week, Second Minister for Trade and Industry Tan See Leng said the move is “just one aspect” Singapore is working on to achieve a cleaner and more efficient energy future.

But even as Singapore shifts towards other cleaner energy sources, liquefied natural gas will continue to be a substantial part of Singapore's energy mix in the near future, he added.

Dr Tan noted that natural gas made up 26% of Singapore’s energy mix in 2001, and has risen to 95% today.

Read more here.

From HumanResourcesOnline:

The National Trades Union Congress and Singapore National Employers Federation today announced the formation of a PME Taskforce.

According to a joint media release, the taskforce will better protect and enable professionals, managers, and executives (PME) who are more vulnerable due to economic transformation and technological disruption, especially mature PMEs aged 40 to 60.

It will engage PMEs, employers and various stakeholders, identify areas of support and look at ways to strengthen PMEs’ employment and employability, and ensure that PMEs have access to a level playing field for jobs whilst balancing companies’ manpower needs, in the immediate and longer term.

Over the next six months, the taskforce will engage and involve PMEs and employers across varied segments through a series of polls, focus group discussions, and events.

This will enable it to identify key concerns and needs of different groups of PMEs; gather feedback from employers on potential skill gaps in the workforce; and work with relevant government agencies to review policies impacting PMEs.

Read more here.

Visit Singapore Business Review website for other stories.

Your rating: MagBe